"Not Small Talk."

Saturday, January 2, 2010

Books I Read in 2009

Othello, William Shakespeare
The Merchant of Venice, William Shakespeare
Romeo and Juliet, William Shakespeare
A Midsummer Night's Dream, William Shakespeare
The Importance of Being Earnest, Oscar Wilde
"Master Harold" ... and the boys, Athol Fugard
Netherland, Joseph O'Neill
Down and Out in Paris and London, George Orwell
Wise Blood, Flannery O'Connor
The House on Mango Street, Sandra Cisneros
This Boy's Life, Tobias Wolff
Don't Let's Go to the Dogs Tonight, Alexandra Fuller
A Handful of Dust, Evelyn Waugh
White Teeth, Zadie Smith
The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym of Nantucket, Edgar Allen Poe
Out Stealing Horses, Per Petersen
The Street, Ann Petry
Antony and Cleopatra, William Shakespeare
Native Son, Richard Wright
Oryx and Crake, Margaret Atwood
Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy, John Le Carre
No Country for Old Men, Cormac McCarthy
Desert Solitaire, Edward Abbey
The Things They Carried, Tim O'Brien
The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Macbeth, William Shakespeare
The Scarlet Letter, Nathaniel Hawthorne
Things Fall Apart, Chinua Achebe
The Age of Innocence, Edith Wharton
The Wordy Shipmates, Sarah Vowell
Dispatches, Michael Herr
Going After Cacciato, Tim O' Brien
Atonement, Ian McEwan
Saturday, Ian McEwan

Of these 34 books, I had already read 18 of them at least once.

3 comments:

tracy said...

Impressive list! I've never tried to track my reading for a year...I'm afraid I'd be unimpressed with myself.

I want to know what you thought of Oryz and Crake. I've been meaning to read that one.

And I want to know what you thought of White Teeth, because I think I still have mized feelings about it...

tracy said...

apparently I have an allergy to the letter "x"...

Matt said...

OK -- Just getting around to reading the comments on my own blog. Thanks for the kind comments!

I thought Oryx and Crake was really good -- my students loved it -- the most popular book I have ever taught with the possible exception of This Boy's Life, which is a perennial favorite. O & C provokes a lot of good discussion -- brings up a lot of issues the young folks can relate to: sex, drugs, and genetic engineering.

My students also have liked White Teeth a lot. I like it a lot, but I think the brilliance of the writing wears out ... I've read it twice, and each time it seems to me that at about halfway through I lose the zeal for reading that I had when I started. I have heard from a couple of people that On Beauty is better, but it has been sitting on my shelf unread for a couple of years now ... one of these days ...